Tips for Naturally Cleaning your BathroomNaturely
People often use harsh chemicals to deal with stubborn dirt in the bathroom. However, these chemicals are dangerous to you and your family’s health and wellbeing. If you decide to live a green lifestyle, this is a practice that you should eliminate for the future.
Luckily there are a few ingredients and methods that you can use to go green in your bathroom. These methods are easy to do and only require natural products, which are much more effective and cheaper. Check out some of the most useful tips below to help you clean your bathroom without having to use any harsh chemicals.
1. Clean your bathroom frequently
If you want to clean your bathroom without using any chemicals, you must clean your bathroom frequently. The reason behind this is that cleaning on a regular basis will prevent you from dealing with very stubborn dirt. Natural cleaning products tend to be more effective when removing new dirt stains. If you leave the stains too long, it might be harder to remove sticky stains or grease with natural cleaning products.
It is relatively easy to establish a routine to clean your bathroom; it could be right after you use the bathroom or if you are busy, at least aim to clean your bathroom two times a week.
Here is a step-by-step guide to clean your bathroom on a daily basis:
Ingredients: a box of baking soda, a sponge, lemon, vinegar, and water. For cleaning sensitive and easily scratched surfaces use microfiber cloths.
- Wet the surface of the bathroom with a mixture of water and vinegar. You can mix these ingredients in a spray bottle for easy application.
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the sponge.
- Use the sponge to scrub the walls of the bathroom, including the tiles and the tub.
- Rinse off the baking soda with water.
- Apply more baking soda and scrub harder on the dirtier spots.
- Finally, spray some more drops of lemon juice and vinegar to neutralise the odour.
2. Clean the stains with natural ingredients
If you don’t clean your bathroom very often, you might end up having a lot of stubborn spots and stains. This will require much time and effort to get rid of them. However, if you still don’t want to use harsh cleaning products, you can use natural ingredients, including vinegar, baking soda (just like the ingredients that you use for regular cleaning) and other tougher ingredients such as washing soda.
Here is how you can clean off bathroom stains:
- Firstly, use vinegar and baking soda and try to get rid of the stubborn stains in the bathroom. Do this by mixing 1 cup of vinegar into a bowl of water. Then soak a clean cloth into this mixture.
- Use this cloth to wipe down the entire surface of the bathroom.
- Next, you need to mix baking soda with water in a bowl to create a baking soda paste. Moreover, if you want a thick paste, add more baking soda and use less water. Wait 20 minutes for the baking soda to work on the stains on the tiles.
- After 20 minutes, use a brush and scrub all areas. In case the surface that you are working on is easily scratched, you should opt for a soft bristle brush.
- Apply more pressure on scrubbing and use more baking soda if necessary.
- Rinse the bathroom’s surface again with water
Alternatively, you can use some of the natural cleaning products we recommend below:
ECOSTORE Bath & Shower Cleaner
Eucoclean 3-in-1 Antibacterial
3. Clean your Drain
To get rid of hair and other material that clogs in shower drains, many people use products such as Drain-O. While it is strong and effective, it contains many harmful elements such as sodium hypochlorite which can lead to severe lung burns. Instead, pour dry baking soda and vinegar into the drain. Wait for about 30 minutes for the baking soda to settle. Then pour boiling water directly down the drain.
4. Freshen the bathroom
The bathroom has the highest level of humidity in the whole house and sometimes lack air ventilation, which contributes to the smell of mould and mildew. This impacts the smell of items like towels and curtains.
To fix this problem, use essential oils or a few drops of lemon juice to freshen the bathroom. Essential oil aromas that I would recommend are lavender (for a soft floral scent) or grapefruit (for a refreshing scent). You can add the essential oil to the cleaning mixture you use for the bathroom. Alternatively, you can create a spray to regularly freshen your bathroom, by mixing 10 drops of essential oils of your choice, 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of water. The more drops of essential oils you use, the stronger the mixture will become.
Mt Retour Organic Lavender Essential Oil
Mt Retour Organic Grapefruit Essential Oil
You can also place an oil diffuser to make sure your bathroom smells nice all the time.
By following the tips above, you will never have to depend on harmful and toxic cleaning methods again. All you need is vinegar, baking soda, and a few drops of lemon juice, which are easily found in your kitchen. Keep in mind that while these ingredients are considered safe, you should wear gloves while cleaning your bathroom and avoid having direct contact with your skin, your eyes, and your clothes.