What are they?
Broccoli belongs to the cabbage family and is native to the regions of Italy. Broccoli has been in existence for 2000 years and is a very popular ingredient in many Italian as well as the Mediterranean cuisines. It is consumed worldwide nowadays with the main seasons is from September to March.
It has a very unique image with a large flowering head which can be eaten. The taste of broccoli is quite bitter like many other cruciferous vegetables.
Broccoli is considered the number 1 food for people in polluted areas because it helps them to improve the performance of their lungs as well as aid the process of washing toxins and other pollutants out of their bodies quicker than any other foods.
It also helps to reduce the allergic reaction and inflammation thanks to its rich content in Omega 3 fatty acids.
Broccoli is rich in fiber and is very supportive when it comes to digestion and constipation prevention. It also helps to maintain low blood sugar and stop overeating. All of these makes broccoli a super food for a healthy diet.
How to use them?
- Some of the easier ways of cooking broccoli are steaming, sautéing, grilling and roasting. You can also eat raw broccoli, just make sure you wash them thoroughly.
- You can make a stir fried dish with chicken or beef and broccoli.
- Broccoli soup: Broccoli casserole with celery and mushroom soup is also a very delicious dish for lunch and dinner.
- Dressing: Another method of cooking broccoli is turning it into a sauce to use as a dressing to pasta or dip.
- One way to persuade your kids to eat broccoli is to bake a Ritz Cracker Broccoli Cake.