8 Healthy Breakfast Recipes for Busy MumsLynn Le
As a working mum, I find morning the craziest part of the day. Kids need healthy breakfast which gives them nutrition and energy. So I tried to look for quick and healthy recipes to ease my morning routine. Here are 8 recipes that our family loves the most.
1. Strawberry Banana Smoothie
I am a big fan of this smoothie as it’s super simple with ingredients already at home. The good news is, you can add blueberry, mango, or kiwi. This recipe is easy to mix-and-match. Plus, it contains a dose of healthy fibre and antioxidants.
INGREDIENTS (2 Servings)
- 4-5 fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup ice cubes
- ½ teaspoon of sugar/ honey (optional)
Put all the ingredients and blend until perfectly smooth. A feel-good breakfast is ready for you!
2. Blueberry Overnight Oatmeal
Once again, I love this recipe as it has tons of variety. You can put any fruits available in the fridge. I often put some sliced bananas or mangos. Or if you love nuts, you can pick almonds or peanuts. One of my secrets is to let my kids choose and decorate the top. Needless to say, they are not picky eaters anymore.
This breakfast is quick but still very nutritious. The hearty oats mixing with good fruits or healthy nuts will help you stay energetic through the day.
INGREDIENTS (Serving : 1)
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- ½ cup skim milk ( or unsweetened milk)
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- ¼ medium banana, sliced (or your favourite fruits)
- ½ cup blueberries
- Dash of cinnamon (Optional, but it’s worth trying!)
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl or a jar (A jar looks nicer to me!). Stir, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, remove from the fridge, add your favourite crunchy toppings such as nuts, granola,chia seeds, extra cinnamon, leftover fruits and ENJOY!
Tip : If you use Greek yoghurt, reduce the amount of milk.
3. Tomato Avocado Melt
Image Source: Tastes Better From Scratch
This is a breakfast which is worth waking up early in the morning. Ease on a budget, fresh, healthy and easy to make changes. If your kids don’t want all-veggie breakfast, you can make Avocado & Tomato Tuna Melt or Chicken, Avocado and Cheese Melt. Feel free to create your own recipe.
INGREDIENTS (Serving :1)
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 English muffin
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 slices of your favourite cheese
- Salt and pepper to season
- Split the English muffin halves and put them face-up on a large baking sheet. Spread about a teaspoon of mayonnaise on each muffin half.
- Spread ¼ mashed avocado on a muffin. Put 2 tomato slices atop the avocado.
- Place the cheese slices on the tomatoes. Broil until the cheese melts (Stop when it starts to turn brown). Now the muffins are so crispy and tasty.
- Season with a bit of salt and pepper/cayenne for addicting flavor.
Check out this video for the perfect Tomato Avocado Melt:
Video Source: Tasty
4. Quinoa and chia porridge with stone fruits
Image Source: BBC good food
Quinoa Porridge is ideal for cool days, especially in mid-fall or winter. It will warm your day and make you feel so good.
INGREDIENTS (4 Servings)
- ¾ cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 apple (or pear)
- 1 cup milk or alternative nut milk
- 2 cup water
- 1 tbsp coconut butter (optional)
- ¼ tbsp ground ginger
- pinch sea salt
- Toppings : raisins, coconut flakes, yoghurt, nuts, berries, strawberries, etc. (Feel free to add your favourites. Our family are so in love with creating our own topping!)
- Use the dry pot and put all the ingredients into it. Boil them with medium heat. When it boils, adjust the heat to the minimum.
- Gently simmer, stirring from time to time. Make sure nothing stick to the bottom.
- Wait until most of the milk is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir one more time.
Once ready, serve porridge with your favourite toppings (yoghurt, nuts, leftover fresh fruits or extra cinnamon). Better to serve warm.
5. Salted Almond Chocolate (with Coconut)
Image Source: Ambitious Chicken
When I get tired of healthy oats, I’ll go for Salted Amond Chocolate. You can save the leftovers for your kid’s snack at school!
INGREDIENTS (1 Serving)
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt Almonds
- 1 tbsp Chocolate Almond Butter
- 1 tbsp coconut
If you have these ingredients ready, just put them on your toast. And Bite!
6. Crunchy Apple Ring
Image Source: Shine 365
When apples are in the season, I can’t wait to try Crunch Apple Ring. 10 minutes only and I have to say “It’s insanely yummy!”. One of the best breakfast ideas ever!
INGREDIENTS ( 4 servings)
2 big apples
1 tbsp of peanut butter (I often use my homemade butter.)
Your favourite oats
- Core apples and make apple rings with a knife.
- Spread peanut butter on one side of the rings.
- Sprinkle your favourite cereal oats. (If I have time, I can sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture!).
7. Black Bean Bowl
Image Source: Dishingupthedirt
Beans are a good source of antioxidants and thiamine, which increase the brain power. Therefore, this recipe is perfect when your kids are preparing for exams.
INGREDIENTS (2 servings)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grain brown rice
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled
- ½ cup salsa
- Salt and pepper
- Pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Tomato (optional)
- Mashed potato (optional)
Put black beans in the microwave (high heat) until they become warm and soft.
8. Banana and Almond Butter Pancakes
Image Source : Womansday
When it comes to simplicity, it’s hard to beat Banana and Almond Butter Pancakes. When you are low on energy, try this quick breakfast
INGREDIENTS (3 servings : 9 pancakes)
- 1 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter ( Peanut butter is great, too!)
- A dash of cinnamon (optional)
- honey (optional)
- Mask the banana with almond butter in a bowl. When this mixture becomes smooth, whisk in the eggs.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat (use a skillet or pan). Put batter into the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. When you notice bubbles bursting around, flip over and cook for one more minute. Making heart-shaped pancakes is a great idea as your breakfast becomes more appealing.
- Slice the banana. Serve with walnuts and honey.
These 8 recipes are my favourites as they ease the burden of cooking in the morning.What do you often make in super busy mornings? I hope to receive healthy breakfast ideas from you.